- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 2 cups tender, small corn kernels
- 2 large firm-ripe avocados
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Small bunch purslane or watercress
- Handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces queso fresco or mild feta, crumbled
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine diced onion, lime juice and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Let macerate for 5 minutes, then whisk in olive oil and toasted cumin. Add corn kernels and a pinch of salt, and toss to coat.
- Cut avocados in thick slices and divide among 4 plates, arranging them in a random pattern. Top with the cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Surround with sprigs of purslane.
- To serve, spoon a quarter of the corn and juices over each salad. Garnish with mint, queso fresco and red pepper.