Serves 8 to 10
1 recipe (uncooked) Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits with herb variation (see link at the bottom of page)
6 tablespoons ( ¾ stick) unsalted butter
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, wiped clean and thinly sliced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
5 cups vegetable broth
One 10-ounce box frozen green peas or 2 cups cooked fresh green peas
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare the biscuits as the recipe directs, but do not bake them. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes, until light brown.
4. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes long, until light brown. Slowly whisk in the broth and bring to a low boil, whisking constantly.
5. Add the peas and sage. Season with salt and pepper and stir to mix. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until thick and creamy.
5. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
6. Top with the uncooked biscuits. Brush the biscuits with the egg wash and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown and the vegetable mixture is bubbling around the edges. Serve immediately.